A Reflection of Christmas

posted on: Monday, December 6, 2010

Before I begin another busy week, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on Christmas. Now, I do go to church with my husband on the weekends, and we do openly discuss God and all of the blessings he puts in our life. And we also keep each other in check. We practice tough love daily. I'll paint the picture: it's kind of like something between Mr. and Mrs. Costanza on Seinfeld and the Castorini family in Moonstruck. It's true. No sooner do I pray to be patient and respectful with my husband after taking holy communion, I'm sass mouthing him over something so unimportant by the time we arrive to the car to ride home. Ie.: Alessandro: "I'm going to make ragu today." Me: "Oh yeah, does that mean you'll be leaving a pile of dishes for me when I come home tonight?!" Alessandro: "Don't sass me! I'll take care of the frrriggin' dishes!" (He has that italian accent, so he rolls his r's.) Meanwhile, I'm totally not showing how grateful I am that he's cooking! Luckily, he gets me. So, we smile, kiss and make up. Man, THAT is such a blessing!

I make so many mistakes day to day, week to week, and I pray for the ability to forgive myself and others and to do better the next time - to find clarity - to find peace with my shortcomings. As I was sitting in mass during this past rainy Sunday, I heard what is said at almost every service, "God knows that our faith is greater than our sins." Those words are so comforting to me. And how grateful I am that today peace and faith fill my heart and our home despite life's hardships, hiccups and just plain day-to-day yuck.

On a very personal note, the day-to-day in my home growing up - not so hot. Let's just say there was plenty of sassin' but no sign of any smiles or hugs that followed. There may have been, oh I don't know, a whole in the wall or a broken down door. Suffice it to say, making up was hard to do for my parents. BUT I am ever so grateful to them, because at Christmas time all hostilities were laid aside. Instead, we would spend hours walking through the snow to find the perfect tree. I, high atop my father's shoulders inspecting the specimens from above. Then, admiring the mechanics of the saw chopping down the tall, chubby pine. Once home, with Christmas music in full swing listening to everything from Elvis to Alvin and the Chipmunks, we would decorate the tree together. This was our tradition. It's taken some patience and compromise on both our parts, but now my husband and I carry on this tradition, and it makes me SO happy.

During Christmas, I become even more aware of these blessings and how much my faith plays such an important part in my feelings of safety, serenity, and most importantly hope. As the delicate dove that is perched upon our tree symbolizes the peace in our home... may faith, peace and love dwell in your home, too.

Photobucket

0 comments:

Sandra Fazzino Photography All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger