Marketing to Event Planners | San Francisco Bay Area

posted on: Sunday, April 28, 2013







Several months ago, just as the 2012 wedding season was coming to its end, I sent out this promotional piece to event planners in the bay area. At this point, I had photographed roughly thirty weddings, but mainly as a second shooter. So, none of the planners in my area knew of me, and I figured if was time to introduce myself. I found a great article by Caroline Joy, 3 Ways to Shake up Your Marketing Today, and followed her every word. Here are the steps I followed:

Step 1:  Researched local wedding planners. Based on the information that I found mainly via the internet, made a SHORT list of women whose style and personality resonated with my brand. Created an excel sheet of each business's contact information. Used this document to track response of mailing.

Step 2: Made a decision on the impression I aimed to make. I wanted to come across as warm, professional, considerate, and organized. Of course, I also wanted to convey my brand. The three words I would use to describe my style are timeless, elegant and graceful.

Step 3: Made printed cards of several of my favorite images and created a questionnaire card that the planners could easily fill out and return in the self-addressed and stamped envelope. This was the key to the success of the promo piece. I simply asked if she would be willing to meet for coffee, lunch or a quick office visit, which month worked best October, November or December, and how she preferred to be contacted by email or phone.

Step 4: Mailed the packages during down season. And patiently waited!

Step 5: As returned post cards arrived, sent a follow-up email thanking the planner. Based on her feedback, marked my excel sheet, and made plans accordingly.

It took just a week to feel the immediate impact of the promo. I actually received an 80% response rate! That is a powerful number especially considering the limited amount of promos that were mailed. Here are the results of my efforts:

- Invited to several industry events.
- Collaborated on two styled shoots with two different planners.
- Published in Utterly Engaged.
- Booked three weddings to date.
- Established several industry relationships with other vendors introduced to me by the planners.
- Continue to receive referrals through these planners and contacts made through them.
- Major bonus: met some extraordinary women who I truly admire and respect.

The two things I like most about this approach are fairly basic. First, I spent less than $200, a small investment on the return I received. Second, the promo made it easy on the planners to respond because of the self-addressed and stamped questionairre. Not to mention, they received something pretty in the mail and reusable since the promo arrived in a photo box stuffed with excelsior.

I hope this has been helpful and encouraging to those new to the industry or perhaps if you've moved to a new area. My words of advice: Be thoughtful. Be you.

xo

8 comments:

Julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

I love this advice! Such great care was obviously taken in the promo boxes and the method seems really easy to follow. I hope to impliment this myself when this season ends.

Thanks!
Julia

Leon said...

I really appreciate this. I am going to attempt to do something similar. Great read!

wani said...

Fantastic - thanks for sharing. Looks great :-)

20SomethingsBlog said...

Love this idea!! Did you have any problem finding mailing address for any? This seems to be the problem I am running into

20SomethingsBlog said...

Love this idea!! Did you have any problem finding mailing address for any? This seems to be the problem I am running into

sandra Fazzino Photography said...

Yes, I did run into one or two event planners who really made it very clear via their websites and blogs that they do not want to receive mail. That's ok. If we're meant to connect, we will - one way or the other. I focused on the planners whose addresses I could find and who seemed like they would be a good match. I continue to meet amazing planners who are a delight to work with - this was just to get the ball rolling, and it truly worked. Just takes some time, thought, and lots of patience. : ) xo

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sandra Fazzino Photography All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger